Rhianna S. Hughes is an associate attorney in the business litigation and employment law groups at Payne & Fears LLP.
Ms. Hughes represents clients in all aspects of complex commercial litigation in state and federal courts. Her experience includes:
- Defending several companies against class action claims in the areas of unfair competition, false advertising, breach of contract, consumer fraud, and the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act
- Defending clients against breach of fiduciary duty claims; in fact, Ms. Hughes recently obtained a full dismissal of such claims on behalf of a client in federal court
- Defending clients against claims for contribution and indemnity
- Defending clients against claims that they violated California’s consumer privacy laws; in this regard, Ms. Hughes secured a summary judgment ruling in a large oil company’s favor after it was sued for violating the Song Beverly Credit Card Act with respect to asking customers for personal information when they purchased gas
- Defending home builders in construction defect cases
- Representing contractors with respect to federal Miller Act claims and California’s prompt payment statutes
- Representing clients in cases brought pursuant to California’s Uniform Trade Secrets Act (CUTSA)
Ms. Hughes represents clients in a diverse array of labor and employment matters in both state and federal courts. Her experience includes:
- Defending companies against sex discrimination, age discrimination, wrongful termination and retaliation claims in state and federal courts
- Defending companies against claims for meal and rest break violations, failure to pay overtime, failure to pay wages due at termination, waiting time penalties, and penalties pursuant to the Private Attorney General Act (PAGA)
- Defending companies against claims brought pursuant to the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) in federal courts
- Assisting companies with Department of Labor (DOL) investigations and hearings before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB)
While in law school, Ms. Hughes was the Managing Editor of the Women's Law Journal. In 2007, she served as a judicial extern to the Honorable George P. Schiavelli of the U.S. District Court, Central District of California (Ret.). Ms. Hughes also served as a legislative assistant/press secretary to California State Senator Bill Morrow (Ret.).
Ms. Hughes serves both Payne & Fears’ Irvine and Phoenix offices.